Friday, March 18, 2016

Fried Green Cabbage

My gosh, this picture is just so awful, please keep reading for the recipe because I swear it's great.

Here's what happened: I made this cabbage dish from the Penzeys catalog for St Patrick's Day (along with some potatoes, cauliflower, and eggs, because what the hell it's my life don't judge me). I took a picture, took a little bite, and then immediately forgot to keep taking photos so I could just sit down and eat the rest of it. It's really good. It's very similar to the buttered cabbage/halushki I make all the time, but it's a little more decadent with the caraway and sour cream. I love it. This is not an every-day recipe because then we'd all fart all the time and weigh a thousand pounds, but it certainly will remain in the repertoire for St Paddy's. It's just so good.

cabbage

Fried Green Cabbage
Penzeys catalog

1 head cabbage (with 1 tsp. salt for soaking)
1/2 teaspoon caraway weed
1 medium onion, minced or 4-5 scallions, chopped
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (1/2-1)
2 tablespoons sour cream

Cut the cabbage in quarters and soak for 30 minutes in salted ice water. Drain well. Coarsely shred the cabbage and steam in a small amount of water with the caraway seeds, covered, for about 5 minutes. Drain again and make sure the cabbage is completely dry. In a large frying pan, heat the butter and saute the onion or scallions for about a minute or until lightly golden. Stir in the mustard then add the cabbage, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and sour cream before serving. This dish is best served immediately.

Servings: 7

No comments: