Monday, March 21, 2016

Cauliflower Rice

First, let me show you the unicorn poop cookies I baked for some people I love very much:


Recipe HERE

I also baked a batch of Margarita Lime Cookies with Tequila Glaze for my coworkers for Cookie Monday. Hooray!

OK now I will tell you about cauliflower rice. This is cauliflower, pretending to be rice.

rice

I am in NO WAY attempting to eat "whole 30" or "paleo" or anything like that. I'm just Lauren, a girl who wants to eat more produce. But this is also apparently a great way to replace rice and grains in your diet, if you're trying to do that. My instructions come from my friend Denise.

Cauliflower Rice

1) Chop cauliflower into florets.
2) Pulse in food processor 10-12 times.
3) Saute in a pan, OR freeze in a flat layer in a ziploc bag, OR spread it out on a baking sheet at 400* for 15 minutes.

SO I did this and portioned it out. I have two bags of it in the freezer, and I baked the rest. I tossed in some garlic, cumin, and lime because I was going to use it in a burrito bowl. It turned out fluffy and delicious, like rice. But not rice. It's pretty neat. I don't think you can use this interchangeably with regular rice, but it certainly works well as a side dish or as a base for larger dishes, like a burrito bowl or buddha bowl. I'm interested to see what else I can do with it.

Here's the recipe for cilantro-lime rice, except I didn't make mine in a pan and I added cumin.

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
House of Yumm

1 head cauliflower
1 lime
2 cloves garlic
1 handful chopped cilantro

Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, and cut the head in half. Remove the cauliflower from the core so you only have the florets. Place half the cauliflower into the processor and process until only small pieces remain. Remove from the processor and place into a pan. Process the remaining cauliflower repeating the steps.

Mince the garlic and add to the cauliflower in the pan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. When cauliflower is slightly toasted, and garlic cooked, remove from heat.

Toss with cilantro and juice from the whole lime.

No comments: