Friday, March 25, 2016

Asparagus and Scrambled Egg All-Day Breakfast Sandwiches

I have this great cookbook called The Farm by Ian Knauer. I got it from a library clear-out sale. Hah. It's amazing and has tons of recipes finding ways to feature fresh produce. It also has a great tutorial for canning. I have a bunch of ideas for this year!

book

I decided on a whim to make these sandwiches. I only had marble rye, so I used that instead of a roll. I also used spinach instead of lettuce, I sprinkled some chives on the eggs, and I added tomato to the sandwich. Mixing cream cheese in with the eggs was a genius move and resulted in super-fluffy, delicious scrambled eggs. This sandwich is delicious. I love it. I'm probably going to make it again for breakfast tomorrow.

sandwich

Asparagus and Scrambled Egg All-Day Breakfast Sandwiches
The Farm, by Ian Knauer, page 30

8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and halved crosswise
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teas pon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 sub or hoagie rolls
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup baby lettuce or arugula
6 large eggs
3 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 450.

Toss the asparagus with the oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.

Split and toast the rolls, then spread them evenly with the mayonnaise and divide the lettuce among them.

Whisk together the eggs, cream cheese, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a large cast-iron or heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat until the foam subsides, add the eggs, and scramble the way you like them.

Divide the asparagus among the rolls, top with the eggs, and serve.

No comments: