Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Breadcrumbs and Capers

First of all, I didn't make this with capers. Anything that's delicious with capers is even more delicious without them, so I skipped them entirely.

cauliflower

I mostly followed the recipe but I did sprinkle some paprika and garlic powder onto the cauliflower as well. This was a good idea flavor-wise, but burned the hell out of my casserole dish. It's ok! It was worth it. I didn't bake it for the full hour and a half - it was ready after about 50 minutes. There's a tip at the end about adding some mustard and maple syrup, but I didn't do that. I have half the cauliflower as leftovers so I might try adding it when I reheat it to see what happens. As it is, this was lovely. I had it with some garlic couscous and had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner. Roasting a whole cauliflower is a great idea! I will try some other recipes for roasting cauliflower in the near future.

cauliflower

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Breadcrumbs and Capers
Dig Inn

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup capers, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

Heat skillet on medium heat, add oil and then bread crumbs.

With a wooden spoon brown breadcrumbs to a light-brown color.

Add capers and parsley.

Transfer breadcrumbs to a kitchen paper towel lined plate รข€“ this will absorb the excess fat.

Preheat the oven at 450°F.

With a small prep knife, cut the leaves off the cauliflower head.

In a bowl season cauliflower with salt, pepper and thyme leaves and then transfer into an oven-proof dish such as a French oven or casserole pot, cover with a lid.

Cook cauliflower for 1 hour 20 minutes then remove the lid. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Cauliflower should have a brown roasted look and soft texture in the middle when pierced with a small knife. If not cook for 10 more minutes.

Sprinkle roasted cauliflower with the breadcrumb mixture.

Mix 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard and 1 tablespoon maple syrup and pour over the cauliflower for an extra tasty version of the whole roasted cauliflower recipe.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Capers can suck a dick.