Monday, February 08, 2016

Soft & Chewy Red Velvet Cookies

Valentine's Day is next Sunday so I decided to go with that as my theme for this week's Cookie Monday. I have a bunch of boxed cake mixes that my coworkers gave me, including a red velvet mix, so I took to Pinterest to find a good cake-mix-cookie recipe. I didn't want to use the basic cake mix recipe - I wanted something better. This recipe is great because it incorporates the cake mix but adds it into a slightly more complicated cookie recipe. Plus! It's a soft-batch cookie! And those are my favorite.

The cake mix wasn't red enough once it was mixed so I did have to add some extra red food coloring. The cookies were great and I think people liked them a lot. I have a few left over so I'm going to add some ice cream and make some little sandwiches. Yes!

cookies

Soft & Chewy Red Velvet Cookies
The Domestic Rebel

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 & 1/4 cups red velvet cake mix (the dry mix)
1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 & 1/2 cups white chocolate chips, divided

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes, or until creamy and smooth. Beat in the egg and the vanilla to combine. Last, add in the red velvet cake mix, flour, and baking soda until a soft dough has formed. Stir in ONE cup of the white chocolate chips.

Chill the mixture in the fridge for AT LEAST two hours, or overnight if possible. Chilling is MANDATORY as it prevents the cookies from spreading into thin, globby saucers during baking.

Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or spray them lightly with cooking spray. Drop rounded Tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto each cookie sheet, keeping about 2" apart from one another. Bake for approx. 9-11 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Cookies may appear slightly undone but do NOT overbake as they will continue to set up as they cool.

Place a couple more white chocolate chips onto the tops of the freshly-baked cookies for an extra bit of sweetness or to make them prettier, if you'd like. Allow them to cool on the pans before serving.

Yield: I got about 4 dozen

No comments: