Monday, February 08, 2016

Quick-Pickled Cauliflower and Swiss on Rye

I'm not sure what drew me to this sandwich. I think I just had all the ingredients available. You also know by now that I like weird grilled-cheese sandwiches. And this definitely is weird. I'm not sure why it's called "quick-pickled" because you are not pickling it at all, just kind of soaking it in a liquid. It calls for sparkling apple cider but I used apple cider vinegar instead - partially because that's what I had available, and partially because that at least makes it more of a pickle. Except it didn't. What I ended up with was mostly just cauliflower coated in honey-mustard.

Anyway, beyond that, this sandwich was also not as grilled-cheesy as I wanted. I had to take a photo of it in the pan because every time I flipped it or lifted it, it fell apart. The cauliflower coating makes the bread really soggy, really quickly. I have no idea how this could be avoided. And! The cheese doesn't bind it together very well. So I'd flip it but nothing would be stuck together and the bread would break apart.

The redemption here is that the sandwich was pretty good. The apple and mustard and caraway and rye go really well together. It was hard to eat since it kept falling apart, so I wouldn't make it again. But I do feel like you need to know that at least it was delicious.

cheese

Quick-Pickled Cauliflower and Swiss on Rye
Vegetarian Times, Jan/Feb 2016

1/4 cup sparkling apple cider
3 Tbs. finely chopped chives
2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
1 Tbs. honey
1 tsp. ground caraway
1/2 lb. cauliflower florets, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (1 cup)
4 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (1 cup)
8 slices dark or marbled rye bread
2 Tbs. butter, melted

Whisk together cider, chives, mustard, honey, and caraway in medium bowl. Add cauliflower and apple, and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature 10 minutes.

Stir in shredded cheese.

Preheat panini or sandwich press to medium heat.

Scoop heaping 3/4 cup cauliflower mixture onto each of 4 bread slices. Top each with another bread slice, and gently press down.

Brush both sides of panini press each with 1/2 Tbs. melted butter. Press 2 sandwiches 3 to 5 minutes, or until bread is browned and crisp on outside, and filling is heated through. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.

No comments: