Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies (Now With Dinosaurs)

It is a known fact that I like dinosaurs. I am a 31 year old with the whimsical interests of a 7 year old - dinosaurs, narwhals, unicorns. I'm kind of lame.

But my friends appreciate my lameness, and for Christmas my workwife Janet bought me this rolling pin, embossed with dinosaur print. After rolling out cookie dough, I can roll over it with this and print the entire dough with little dinosaurs. SO COOL. So then I had to find a recipe to use it.

Because I'm still getting the hang of it and not very good at rolling out dough (I'm too short so I don't have as much leverage to apply pressure), I picked a chocolate dough. This allowed me to make jokes about people pretending they are searching the mud for dinosaur tracks. Most of them turned out pretty good! And the chocolate cookie dough was yummy. Not too sweet. I will strongly compare it to the crust of a chocolate poptart (which I happen to love). I would definitely make this cookie dough again, and I will try the dinosaurs again in the near future with a different recipe.

dinosaur

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies
Smitten Kitchen

3 cups all-purpose flour (375 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt (3 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup lightly salted butter (225 grams) softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. (It does disappear once baked, though, so don't overly fret if they go into the oven looking white.) Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed .

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yield: I used a 2" round cookie cutter and ended up with about 40 cookies.

No comments: