Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Salted Vanilla Chip Oatmeal Cookies

OK, so, I hated these. I made them, and I hated them. I'm not sure why. The white chocolate? Normally it's hard to screw up an oatmeal cookie, and the addition of some flaky sea salt on top was nice. So I guess I just hated the white chocolate chips. I did post a disclaimer on Facebook telling people that I hated the cookies. The concensus was that I should bring them in anyway, because, "Have you seen our office? We'll eat anything." OK.

Anyway, I forgot to bring them to work on Monday. And then I brought them to work today instead, but then I forgot them in my office until noonish. Then I remembered and gave them to my coworkers.

They apparently did not hate them as much as I did. They actually ate them. I think they weren't as popular as previous weeks, for sure. But it wasn't so bad. I guess it's just me. I didn't know I hate white chocolate in salted oatmeal cookies. Oh well, live & learn.

oatmeal

Salted Vanilla Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Bake or Break

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (12 tbsp) softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
coarse salt, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.

Whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and vanilla until creamy. Add brown sugar and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add oat mixture. Stir in white chocolate.

Scoop batter by tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. Sprinkle each with coarse salt. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until edges are browned but centers are slightly soft.

Cool cookies on pans for a few minutes. Then, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 5 dozen

No comments: