Saturday, January 02, 2016

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

I haven't posted in almost a month! This is what happens when I take a cookie hiatus for the holidays. Geez. Sorry, guys. I did do a little bit of baking though.

For Christmas, my mom usually makes Christmas tree-shaped spritz cookies with the cookie press. This year she was very stressed out so I whipped up a batch of her recipe. My family can be harsh critics, but they agreed the cookies tasted just like my mom's. Hooray!
trees

I also made a batch of Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies for dinner at a friend's house. They were best the day they were made, but still good a couple days later. Some people added ice cream and that's a great idea.

And then I made these no-bake cookies because I found a bunch on Pinterest and thought they looked interesting. I didn't take a picture because I forgot. They're bar cookies. Go to the original website to see a photo. So, these actually turned out kind of terrible. The peanut butter flavor wasn't strong enough, but I couldn't add more or it would screw up the texture. Instead, it tasted like buttery graham cracker. Not terrible but not even a little bit how I'd pictured. I won't make these again.

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Sally's Baking Addiction

1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 full sheets)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (215g) creamy peanut butter (not natural style)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Line a 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, and powdered sugar together until combined. Stir in 3/4 cup of peanut butter. Spread into prepared baking pan.

In a small bowl, microwave 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter with the chocolate chips until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread over peanut butter layer.

Chill until completely firm, at least 3 hours. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. Bars stay fresh stored in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. (Setting them out for a few hours at room temperature for serving is OK.) Bars may be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

No comments: