Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Coffee Cake Cookies

I printed this recipe out a few weeks ago but have put off making it. I didn't think it would make enough cookies (I was wrong) and I really didn't want to use shortening (which I normally don't, but I DID - SORRY EVERYONE) but they were just so intriguing. So, I ended up making them for Cookie Monday.

These were SUPER popular. A lot of people asked for the recipe. I did have a few left over at the end of the day because I forgot to hand them out after lunch, but several people did take seconds. I made the cookies smaller than the recipe instructed, and I ended up with about 4 dozen cookies. The baking time was the same - about 9 minutes per batch. As usual, I slightly underbaked.

The big problem was that the recipe makes WAY WAY WAY too much crumble. It's a huge waste of ingredients. I had read about that in the comments on the original blog post, but I was doubtful. I shouldn't have been - seriously, after making 4 dozen cookies, I still had this much topping left over:

crumble

So, if you decide to make them, please reduce the amount of topping you make. By at least half, if not more. But you really should definitely make them. Even with the shortening.

Coffee Cake Cookies
Cookies & Cups

Topping:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 cup flour

Cookies:
10 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/3 cup flour
optional ~ 1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350°

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner. Set aside.

Mix all the crumb ingredients together in a medium bowl and cut together with a pastry cutter or a fork until evenly mixed. Refrigerate while making cookie dough.

Mix together butter, shortening and both sugars for 1-2 minutes on medium speed, until combined and smooth.

Add in cinnamon, eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until evenly combined.

Turn mixer to low and mix in baking powder, salt and flour, mixing until dough comes together evenly.

Scoop cookies out, using a cookie scoop or spoon (about 3 Tablespoons) and place on lined cookie sheet. If using a spoon, form the dough into rounded balls.

Make an indentation in the center of the cookie dough.

Scoop at least 1 Tablespoon of Crumb Topping into the center of the dough pressing lightly to stick.

Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until edges start to get golden.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes on cookie sheet, then transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

Yield: 2-4 dozen depending on size of cookie

No comments: