Thursday, December 03, 2015

Sweet Potato Sushi Bowls with Ginger Soy Dressing

Here is an eternal truth about myself: I lack the basics at home (fresh fruit, un-expired milk) but always manage to have really weird stuff available. Did I have any lettuce to make a salad, or jelly to have PB&J? No, but I did have dried seaweed to make these sweet potato sushi bowls. I didn't even have the avocado or the carrot for the recipe, but I did have some wasabi paste and ginger! I am such a weirdo.

So this was pretty quick and easy. I stuck to the recipe, other than the missing carrot and avocado. Oh, and I had some spinach so I sauteed that with some black sesame seeds. I really liked it. I was nervous the dressing would be too sweet, but it wasn't at all. It was really great. I added extra sriracha to make it extra-spicy, even with the wasabi added into the bowl. Very yummy! I would make this again.

sushi

Sweet Potato Sushi Bowls with Ginger Soy Dressing
Vegetarian Times, November 2015

1 cup brown or white rice
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 heaping cups)
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and cut into 1-inch matchsticks (1 cup)
1 small carrot, cut into 1-inch matchsticks (1 cup)
1 cup one-inch-long strips roasted seaweed
4 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
Wasabi paste, to taste, optional
Pickled ginger, to taste, optional

Dressing:
1 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 large clove garlic, grated
3 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
2 1/2 tsp. pure maple syrup or honey
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
Hot chile sauce, to taste
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil

Preheat oven to 375°F.

To make Sweet Potato Sushi: Cook rice according to package directions. Place sweet potato on large cookie sheet, toss with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast sweet potatoes 30 to 35 minutes, until tender and starting to brown.

To make Dressing: Whisk together ginger, garlic, tamari, maple syrup, rice wine vinegar, chile sauce, and 3 Tbs. water in small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil.

Fill each of four bowls with 1 cup rice, 1/3 cup roasted sweet potatoes, one-quarter of avocado, 1/4 cup each cucumber, carrot, and seaweed strips. Top each with 1 tsp. sesame seeds. Drizzle with Dressing, and top with wasabi paste and pickled ginger, if using.

Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

Denise said...

Maple syrup. The other flavors seem like they go together except the syrup.