Monday, September 07, 2015

Habanero Peach Jam

First, I will tell you that last week I made Fruity Pebble Cookies for Cookie Monday at the request of a coworker. I had completely forgotten about this recipe and never repeated it. It was fun to rediscover it! They're still delicious.

Now I will tell you about my habanero plant. It is insane. It just keeps producing peppers and I'm drowning, because any given recipe really only uses 1 or 2 habaneros. So I'm desperate. I picked up some local peaches and tried out this recipe for peach jam. It still only used 2 habaneros, but at least it was a new experience.

So here's what went wrong: for some reason, it didn't make 2 full pints of jam. It made maybe one. Second, it didn't make jam. I don't know if I cooked it too long, or at the wrong temperature, or an ingredient was missing, but this is basically candied peaches/peppers. It's been sitting for about a month but is still sticky, not spreadable or "jammy." It tastes good! But there's not even really a use for it. Maybe I can melt it down and pour it over cream cheese for a dip. Actually, that's probably what I'll do. That's a great idea, self! Hooray!

jam

Habanero Peach Jam
The View from Great Island

1 lb 5 oz peeled and pitted peaches
2 habanero peppers, seeds and all, finely minced
1 lb 5 oz sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Put your jars through the hot cycle of the dishwasher to clean.

Peel and slice your peaches over a bowl, to catch the juices.

Weigh the peaches and then weigh out the same amount of sugar.

Put the peaches, sugar, habanero peppers and lemon juice in a large heavy bottomed pot. Stir to combine everything and mash the peaches a bit with a large wooden spoon or potato masher.

Let sit for an hour.

Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. It will foam up for most of the time, and eventually, when the jam is nearly ready, the foam will die down.

Check to see if the jam is ready by dropping a small amount on a very cold plate. When it is ready it will jel as it cools on the plate.

When you are satisfied with the jelling, ladle the hot jam into clean jars, filling almost to the top. Put the lids on, but don’t screw them too tightly, and immediately set the jars upside down.

Let the jars cool, and then turn them right side up and refrigerate.

Yield: 4 half-pint jars

No comments: