Thursday, August 27, 2015

Roasted Okra

I'm growing four okra plants on my deck (turns out they're great container plants!), and there's an abundance of okra growing at the farm right now. Let's take a moment to look at the farm.

farm

farm

I've already pickled it once (and I pickled it again with a different recipe, which I'll post soon). I've made it into grilled cheese. I've battered it and frozen it so I can have fried okra all winter long. And the other day I decided to just simply roast it!

Well, that was a terrible idea. Okra is delicious but so easily becomes slimy. Although I'm sure there are people out there who like slimy okra, I am not one of them. I thought roasting it would dry things out a little bit, but I was wrong. This was pretty gross. Tasted good. I ate all of it despite the horrid texture. Next time I'll try grilling it! Or pickling again! Hah.

okra

Roasted Okra
Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen

18 fresh okra pods, sliced 1/3 inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Yield: 3 servings

No comments: