Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Pickled Jalapenos

The amount of vegetables from my garden and from the farm is just absurd at this point so I've started learning alternate methods. My freezer is getting full, so I'm starting to can and pickle. Beware of a LOT of canning posts coming up. I initially used an old pot to boil the jars, but I ruined the pot. So then I bought a cheap canning kit (pot, funnel, jar lifter, basket, assorted tools) off of Amazon. HOORAY!

So these peppers actually don't even need to be canned because they aren't supposed to be shelf-stable. They're just for the refrigerator. The jalapenos I'm growing are so hot, which is amazing and wonderful, but pickling them has helped to temper the heat a little bit. I've been adding these to burritos, sandwiches, and egg scrambles. Yum! And so easy!

I'm VERY AWARE I used way too big of a jar and added too much liquid. I honestly thought I had more jalapenos at the time. 15 just wasn't enough to fill up the jar. Now I have even more, but I'm going to try something different for those. And if I get more, since my plant just keeps producing, maybe I'll pickle more of them and then can them for the pantry. According to the comments on the original blog post, they do can well in a water bath.

jalapenos

Pickled Jalapenos
Domestic Fits

15 large jalapenos
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
3 tbs white sugar
2 tbs kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

Slice the jalapenos into 1/4 inch rings. Remove all or none of the seeds, depending on desired heat level (the more seeds left in the peppers, the higher the heat level).

In a pot over medium high heat, add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature before adding the jalapenos. Place peppers and pickling liquid in an airtight container, such as a canning jar, refrigerate for 4 days and up to three weeks.

No comments: