Sunday, August 16, 2015

Essential Habanero Hot Sauce

I have a bajillion habaneros growing on my deck, and they're basically impossible to use up because you really only ever need one habanero in a recipe. Being homegrown, they are extra flavorful and spicy. I figured I would use my new canning supplies to make this hot sauce. I made three small jars of it and canned them for personal use and for gifts.

When I pureed the sauce, it would not freaking liquify. It stayed kind of chunky, albeit small chunks, but definitely not like a smooth hot sauce. My friend and I ended up using it like a salsa, dipping chips in it. This was a great idea if you like spicy food. It tasted much better than I expected! This was a great way to use up habaneros if you're looking for ideas.

hot sauce

Make sure you read the instructions for canning on the original post. The ingredients are very specific so you won't get food poisoned, which is obviously important.

hot sauce

Essential Habanero Hot Sauce
Food.com

1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons salt
10 habanero peppers, seeds and stems removed, chopped

Combine all the ingredients, except for the habaneros, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.

Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain for a smoother sauce.

Pour in sterilized jars and process in a water bath as described above.

Yield: 2 cups

No comments: