Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cookie Monday: Amish Sugar Cookies

Last week I was planning to make some kind of chocolate/peanut butter cookie, but I was lazy and did not have all the ingredients I needed. So I looked for a recipe using what I had available. And voila! These sugar cookies.

Because of the combination of butter & oil, and the addition of powdered sugar, these are just really soft and pillowy. They have a light vanilla flavor. Be careful not to overbake them because they brown very quickly. I'm not sure what makes them "Amish," but I don't really care. They were very good and super-easy to make! And I didn't even have to put on pants.

cookies

Amish Sugar Cookies
Taste of Home
Originally published as Amish Sugar Cookies in Country Extra July 1990, p45

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour (4-1/2)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

In large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture.

Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Yield: about 5 dozen.

No comments: