Saturday, July 11, 2015

Shredded Harvest Hash & Fried Egg Breakfast Tacos

I have tons of vegetables from the CSA - and now also from my own garden! - so I'm trying to find creative ways to use them up each week. I've roasted a lot of vegetables, added them to pastas, made stir-fry, and just parboiled & frozen them for future use. I'm planning to start pickling, as well. And when I have a little bit more basil, I will make a big batch of pesto.

Anyway, for now, I decided to make these tacos for dinner last night. I made the following changes:
*Instead of the vegetables listed, I used kale, carrots, beets, fennel, okra, and frying peppers (the latter two of which I grew in my own garden!!!)
*Flour tortillas instead of corn
*Topped with shredded cheese, green onions, jalapenos (that I grew myself!), cilantro (from my garden!) and shredded red cabbage

This was GREAT!!! I really enjoyed it a lot. It was a great way to appreciate the integrity of the vegetables, and, paired with farm-fresh eggs, was just a great dinner. It's very versatile, too, so it would be a great way to use up extra root vegetables. I would definitely make this again.

tacos

Shredded Harvest Hash & Fried Egg Breakfast Tacos
Recipe from With Food & Love

Harvest Hash:
1 large beet
1 large watermelon radish {or handful of red radishes}
3 lacinato kale leaves, ribs removed
8 - 10 brussel sprouts
1 large leek
1 large carrot
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt

For the Tacos:
8 soft corn tortillas
8 farm fresh fried eggs {or 2 cups of warm black beans, for vegan option}
Sliced avocado
fresh cilantro or parsley
your favorite hot sauce

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees + line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Shred all of your veggies into thin strips. In a large bowl toss all of the veggies with the olive oil and sea salt. Spread the veggies onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes, flipping halfway.

While the veggies are in the oven, fry your eggs.

To assemble layer the eggs on top of the corn tortillas, then the avocado and top with a generous portion of the shredded harvest hash.

Serves 4 (8 tacos)

No comments: