Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Disappearing Kohlrabi

Another thing I got from the CSA was kohlrabi. I got a couple little bulbs.

kohlrabi

I've cooked it once before - when I got it from a CSA I did a few years ago - but I knew there had to be something better. I did some searching on Pinterest and came across this recipe for "disappearing kohlrabi." It sounded ok, so I made it.

No. Seriously. I ate the whole thing immediately. I meant to keep some for leftovers, but I didn't. It is DELICIOUS. I already sent the recipe to my mom because her CSA starts next week and she might get some kohlrabi too. I LOVE this recipe. Adjust it according to taste. I used Penzeys Roasted Garlic Powder, which was perfect. If you don't like mustard, this is probably not for you, but you could also just omit it. Maybe. Try it and tell me what happens. I like mustard, so I loved this.

kohlrabi

When you're preparing the kohlrabi, cut off the greens (they'll look like little aliens), then peel the whole thing with a vegetable peeler.

kohlrabi

Disappearing Kohlrabi
Cooking Outside the Box

2 kohlrabi bulbs/heads/roots (2 to 4)
Paprika
Garlic powder
Sea salt
Olive oil
Dijon mustard

Peel kohlrabi, cube, and remove woody part around the point.

Season generously with all the other ingredients.

Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Bake around 200 C/390 F until they start getting golden brown, about 20 minutes, then turn off oven and leave in until they are soft.

1 comment:

Justine Levine said...

Yum! I'll have to try this. We got kohlrabi, too...I do all sorts of things with it, but tend not to roast it.