Sunday, June 28, 2015

Cabbage Salad

I forgot to post about my CSA last week! This is what I got:

csa

Green onions, garlic scapes, zucchini, 2 1/2 pounds of broccoli, cabbage, fennel, kale, lettuce, cilantro.

I blanched and froze all of the broccoli so I can use it throughout the fall and winter, because I really love broccoli.

I also used the cabbage, green onions, and garlic scapes to make this salad my mom used to make growing up. Yes, it sounds weird. No, it isn't. It's actually really good. While it calls for chinese cabbage, we've always just used regular cabbage. Instead of chicken-flavored ramen noodles, I used the vegetarian "oriental" flavor. It doesn't really make a different in the dressing. I made enough to bring for lunches all week and portioned them out. It was great! The good thing about this salad is that it keeps well, because even when the noodles and cabbage soften, it's still good.

ramen

Cabbage Salad
From my mom

1 head Chinese cabbage, shredded
Bunch green onions, chopped
2 packages Ramen noodles - crushed (chicken flavor)
Sliced almonds
Sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Sesame oil
Seasoning packets from noodles
2/3 cup canola oil

Mix all salad ingredients. Mix all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad about 30-45 minutes before serving.

If you want to wilt the salad, heat the dressing. Bring it to a boil for 1 minute. Toss the salad with the hot dressing.

No comments: