Monday, April 27, 2015

Harissa Zucchini Spaghetti Skillet

I recently discovered "zoodles," or zucchini noodles. It's popular among people doing the Whole 30 or Paleo diets, which I clearly am not. But the idea of using zucchinis (and other vegetables) in a new way was intriguing to me. I ordered a cheap $7 spiralizer from Amazon and decided to make this as my first "spiralized" meal.

Let's be clear here: this is just a creative way to eat zucchini. It is NOT in any way a replacement for spaghetti. I know people call them zoodles and claim they are better than pasta, but they are wrong. This is not similar. It just looks the same. BUT! If you like zucchini, you will enjoy this. Plus, the spiralizing process is fun.

The rest of the dish is similar to my favorite Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas, & Harissa dish (which I make all the time), but with some kale and eggs. The eggs aren't actually poached; they're just baked in the same skillet as the rest of the food. I don't like runny eggs so I poked the yolk so it would cook through. Just my personal preference.

This was good and was a fun introduction to spiralizing. I have many more recipes I'm hoping to make. We joined a CSA this year, so I'm hoping for an abundance of zucchini, and it's nice to have exciting ways to use them!

zoodles

Harissa Zucchini Spaghetti Skillet with Kale, Chickpeas, and Poached Eggs
Inspiralized

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup diced shallots
1 cup diced tomatoes (or half a 14oz can of diced tomatoes)
2 tablespoons harissa
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 small pinch of saffron
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
3/4 cup chickpeas
2 medium zucchinis, Blade C
2 whole eggs
Feta and chopped parsley, to garnish

Place a medium cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in garlic and shallots. Cook for 30 seconds and then add in the diced tomatoes, harissa sauce, cumin, saffron and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let cook for 1 minute.

Add in the chopped kale, stir to combine and let cook until sauce is reduced. Once sauce is reduced, add in the zucchini noodles and chickpeas. Toss the noodles around until covered in the sauce.
Move the mixture around to create two pockets for the eggs. Crack one egg into each pocket. Cover the skillet and let cook for about 5 minutes or until egg whites have fully set.

Remove the cover, garnish with parsley and feta.

Yield: 2 servings

1 comment:

Anika said...

how do you feel about the spiralizer? I keep hearing about them and am not sure if I'd use it. But I do love zucchini!