Saturday, March 28, 2015

Shrimp Scampi with Pasta (or Squash)

When I was in fifth grade, I used to read my teacher's Woman's Day and Family Circle magazines when she brought them into school. Then I started subscribing to them myself. I loved the quick tips for cleaning, simple recipes, decorating ideas, and human interest stories. Nothing was heavy. So stereotypically female but I've always been a domestic kind of person. Everything was a quick little sound bite of an article. IT WAS A PRINT FORM OF PINTEREST. But then I was poor after college and cancelled most of my magazine subscriptions, and then Pinterest was invented so those kinds of magazines were no longer needed.

Every once in awhile, I find a recipe or a little article I may have saved and I feel nostalgic. This is one of those recipes! I found it while looking for a quick shrimp dish to serve with some baked spaghetti squash, because I'm currently obsessed with spaghetti squash. While the squash was resting after baking, I made the shrimp. Super fast! Then I sauteed the shredded spaghetti squash in the remainder of the butter/garlic sauce in the pan. Served together, and ta-da! Shrimp scampi with not-pasta.

It was delicious and simple. I thought it paired so well with the spaghetti squash. I would make this again! Here is the original recipe.

squash

Scampi with Pasta
Woman's Day, April 2006

12 ounces linguine
3 tablespoons butter, cut up
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pound peeled, deveined, extra-large shrimp, thawed if frozen
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Boil linguine as package directs. Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add shrimp, scallions, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat; stir in lemon zest, juice and parsley. Drain pasta; serve with shrimp.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: