Saturday, March 21, 2015

Homemade Burrito Bowls

I love the burrito bowls at Chipotle and Qdoba but neither of those are convenient to my house so I never get them. I had some leftover rice from a fancy dinner my gentleman made earlier this week, and all the required vegetables for this homemade burrito bowl recipe, except for an avocado (which I did miss). I didn't really change anything. Gentleman was going to put chicken on his but ended up skipping the chicken and pouring the whole thing into a giant tortilla (so his was a "burrito" not a "burrito bowl," but that's ok). You could easily substitute anything you want. If you're doing paleo/whole 30, you could probably even just sub in guacamole for the sour cream to make the chipotle cream because it's such a thick consistency anyway.

I really liked this. I like the versatility of it, and I liked that it only took four minutes to make. I will hang on to this recipe for weeknight dinners.

bowl

Homemade Burrito Bowls
From Damn Delicious

1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup salsa
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
15 ounce whole-kernel corn, drained
15 ounce black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Chipotle Cream
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon chipotle paste
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste

To make the chipotle cream sauce, whisk together sour cream, chipotle paste, garlic, lime juice and salt; set aside.

In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; let cool and stir in salsa; set aside.

To assemble the bowls, divide rice mixture into serving bowls; top with lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro.

Serve immediately, drizzled with chipotle cream sauce.

Yield: 6 servings (I think this is a high estimate)

No comments: