Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Cookie Monday: Dark Chocolate Mint Cookies

For Cookie Monday, I wanted a simple chocolate mint cookie and didn't want to have to melt any chips down like I do for my usual recipe. I adapted this recipe from Bakerella to my needs by substituting in some mint chocolate chips (green for St Paddy's, of course) instead of the peppermint M&Ms. It worked very nicely and, while love my usual mint cookie recipe more, these were still wonderful. A little crunchier than I usually like, but that's my own preference. Happy St Patrick's Day!

cookie

Dark Chocolate Mint Cookies
Recipe from Bakerella

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white chocolate peppermint M&M's
1 cup bittersweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix flour, cocoa, soda, salt and coffee crystals in a medium bowl using a wire whisk. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add flour mixture to creamed butter and mix until combined.
Stir in M&M's and chocolate chips and then chill dough for about 30 minutes.

Roll into balls. (Note: reserve a few chocolate chips and candies to press into the tops of the dough just before baking.)

Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until done. Cool and eat.

Yield: 2 dozen, but I doubled the recipe and got 6 dozen, so I guess it depends on how big you make them

No comments: