Saturday, March 07, 2015

Coconut Bread

My partner at work will be 40 on Monday and we have had a really rough time at work lately. While dreaming of vacationing in Bermuda or the Keys, she mentioned that she desperately wanted to go to Key West because there is a restaurant that serves the best coconut bread in the world. They also happen to have posted the recipe. So I immediately started baking for her.

She warned me ahead of time that she's tried to replicate it before and failed. It was too dense, it didn't cook through, the edges were overcooked. I'd like to say I had better luck, but I didn't really. It did cook through, but there was a dark crust on the edge and the bread was dense. I'd imagine it's delicious toasted, though.

I did make a couple changes that I'd hoped would help (but didn't). Well, first, I used Malibu Rum instead of the coconut extract because I didn't have any extract. I also subbed two tablespoons of coconut oil for two tablespoons of the butter. And I ran out of flour, so I used a half-cup of cake flour to cover the missing amount. It was pretty good, but not good enough to keep the recipe. Perhaps some day I will have the real thing in Key West!

I don't have a picture of this because I gave it away pretty much immediately after I baked it. It looks like bread.

Coconut Bread
Keys Net
Courtesy of Pepe's Cafe and Steak House in Key West

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. coconut extract
1 cup fancy shredded coconut
1 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and extract, then sour cream. Add the coconut. Fold in flour, baking powder and baking soda. Turn into lightly greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done.

Makes 1 loaf, 9-10 slices.

Serve toasted or warm. Freezes well.

Suggested substitutions: omit coconut extract and coconut. Use maple extract and walnuts for Maple Walnut bread. Use lemon extract and 1 tbsp. poppy seeds for Lemon Poppy Seed bread. Use vanilla extract and any fruit such as peaches, pears, cranberries, etc.

No comments: