Saturday, March 14, 2015

Butternut Squash Soup with Roasted Cauliflower

My gentleman wanted me to make a butternut squash soup this week so I took an old favorite for Butternut Squash Soup with Sage-Parmesan Croutons and updated it a little bit.

Instead of croutons, I roasted some cauliflower along with the butternut squash. I sprinkled the cauliflower and squash with sage and roasted garlic powder, and a little parmesan on the cauliflower. I added about half of the cauliflower to the soup when I added the squash, plus a bay leaf for a little extra flavor.

Then at the end, I pureed all of that. Including the bay leaf. I forgot about the bay leaf. I panicked and googled whether we were going to die from this. As it turns out, bay leaves are safe to eat but are generally unpleasant because they are hard and can be sharp and poky. Luckily, I pureed mine pretty well so it wasn't really noticeable and actually did add a nice flavor. But I will try hard never to do that again.

Anyway so after I poured the soup into the bowls, I divided the rest of the roasted cauliflower on top. It was pretty great. I really liked this variation and am proud of myself for experimenting. And if you feel like sticking to the original recipe, it's always been delicious!

leaf

1 comment:

Denise said...

I LOLed at you pureeing the bay leaf. I would have done the same thing, right down to googling whether or not death was imminent.