Monday, February 02, 2015

Texas Caviar

My gentleman's aunt made this around the holidays, and it was amazing. I just stood there eating it forever. She so kindly gave me the recipe, and I decided to make it for our Super Bowl party. I wasn't sure if it would be popular amongst a group of mostly-male late-20-somethings. But I made it and stuck it on the table with some tortilla chips.

As it turns out, I had no reason to worry. It was gone by the end of the night and multiple people asked for the recipe. This is a solid party food. This is the kind of recipe I will have to make for every party forever. I highly recommend it!

The thing that I love about it is that it isn't soggy. You make the dip, pour the dressing over it, and then drain the whole thing before you serve it. That way, you don't serve a liquidy, over-dressed dip. It was perfect.

beans
{I'm sorry for the bad quality; I thought I'd taken a good picture at the time.}

Texas Caviar
From my gentleman's Aunt Barb

Dressing:
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Salad:
1 can pinto beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can white shoepeg corn
1 can black beans
1 can chopped green chiles
1 cup mixed green, yellow, and red bell peppers
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup onion
Chopped cilantro, to taste (I did not add this)

Boil and cool dressing ingredients.

Drain and combine salad ingredients.

Mix all ingredients together with dressing. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.

Makes a HUGE bowlful.

No comments: