Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hibachi-Style Fried Rice

The actual name of this recipe is "Hibachi-Style Fried Rice with Yum-Yum Sauce" but I made the sauce and it was NOT yum-yum so I'm going to ignore it. I didn't even serve the sauce. I just threw it right out. It was so overly sweet and had a crappy texture and ugh. Gross.

BUT THE RICE.

The rice sounds SO easy and SO ridiculous, but it's amazing. It tastes just like fried rice at hibachi. I don't know if it's because of the sugar or the butter or both. It's a mystery. But it was really great. I added some green onions at the end. You could easily serve this with stuff you'd have at hibachi, like teriyaki chicken or shrimp or whatever. It's great. I'm looking forward to trying a similar recipe for hibachi noodles.

I definitely would make this again as my standard fried-rice recipe. AND I'm starting to bring lunch to work again, so we're back to running the lunchbox test on meals. This was the first one tried - it is GREAT warmed up the next day. Hooray!

rice

I portioned out the rice into my lunch container before I served dinner, and then we ate the rest, and then I realized I forgot to take a picture, so I tried to take a picture of it in my lunchbox. Sorry guys.

Hibachi-Style Fried Rice with Yum Yum Sauce
The Cooking Jar

4 cups cooked long grain rice
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Yum Yum Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water

Make sure the rice has cooled and break apart any lumps with your hands.

Over medium high heat, crack the eggs in a wok and stir to scramble in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Season with salt and use the spatula to dice the eggs into smaller pieces. Dish the eggs and set aside.

Pour in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Scrape up any brown bits left by the eggs with spatula and mix. Add the peas and carrots and stir to combine. Add the rice and eggs and toss to combine.

Add butter, soy sauce and sugar coating the rice well with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine all the sauce ingredients and stir to mix well.

Dish and serve the rice hot with the sauce.

No comments: