Monday, February 02, 2015

Beer & Cheese Dip

I actually made this at the last minute for our Super Bowl party. It took approximately zero time, other than refrigerating it before the guests arrived. For some reason I had a packet of Ranch dressing mix. I didn't add the bacon or the green onions. I used Yuengling lager, because that's what we had available for cooking.

Tangential anecdote for my friends who don't live in PA: Yuengling is made right near my house. It's everywhere here. When you go to a bar or a party, unless it's a hip craft-beery bar, they just call it lager. They don't even call it Yuengling. So even though we prefer to drink other beers in our house, it's one of those drinks that you HAVE to have when you invite people over.

Okay so people ate about half of this. I had it out with some tortilla chips but I noticed a lot of people were dipping vegetables in it - which, in hindsight, is a really good idea. It's good with some broccoli. I think it would have been more popular if I'd added the bacon, or if it were a hot dip. It's really good (if you like beer and cheese), but I think I should have had a warm dip to counteract the other food we had out. Oh well. I wouldn't make this again.

dip
{I'm sorry the picture is so awful. I forgot until after I'd had a few drinks.}

Beer Dip
Balancing Beauty & Bedlam via Pinterest

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix
1/2 can beer
2 cups shredded cheddar
Bacon bits
Chopped green onion

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, dressing, and beer til creamy and smooth. Then mix in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.

Refrigerated for at least 3 hours, or overnight.

Before serving, garnish with bacon bits and green onions, if using. Serve with pretzels or chips.

No comments: