Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Parsnip Risotto with Mascarpone and Sage

Last night I was scrolling through my recipes and realized I had ALL the ingredients needed for this recipe, which is bizarre since who ever has parsnips just sitting around? This girl. That's who. So I made this. My gentleman was out, so I had a nice, warm vegetarian risotto for dinner.

I think I've pretty much mastered risottos at this point. I think Gordon Ramsay would be happy with me. It takes a little patience and practice but eventually it'll cook properly. I followed the recipe exactly, but I didn't have fresh spinach so I threw in some frozen. That wasn't a great idea. It just isn't the same. So don't do that. Either use fresh spinach or skip it.

I really enjoyed this because the grated parsnips blend in with the risotto so it's smooth, not chunky or anything, but still has that unique parsnip taste. I love mascarpone so that's always a nice addition. I wish I'd used a stronger white wine because the flavor cooked off really quickly. And make sure you use a good-quality vegetable broth because it's a very prominent flavor.

I'm not sure I'd make this again, but it was great for a cold winter night.

risotto

Parsnip Risotto with Mascarpone and Sage
From Delicious Every Day, edited from metric
Originally adapted from Vegetarian: A Delicious Celebration of Fresh Ingredients

32 ounces vegetable stock
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large or 3 medium parsnips, peeled and coarsely grated
6 sage leaves, finely shredded
1 3/4 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons of mascarpone, plus extra to serve
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 cup baby spinach

Start by placing the vegetable stock in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low to keep warm.

In a large pot, melt the butter over a medium heat and add the onion, parsnips and sage and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is softened but not browned.

Add the rice and stir well to coat before cooking for a few minutes until they begin to turn translucent.

Add the white wine and cook until the wine has all but evaporated.

Use a ladle to add a spoonful of stock to the risotto and stir until the stock almost disappears before adding the next ladle of stock. Continue until all of the stock is used, or the rice is plump but retains a bit of bite.

Remove the risotto from the heat and add the grated parmesan, baby spinach and mascarpone and stir to combine. Cover with a lid and set aside for 5 minutes.

Serve with extra mascarpone and fried or fresh sage leaves.

Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

Denise said...

Giada's Everyday Italian made making risotto seem not scary at all. Gordon Ramsey terrifies me. Has he written a cookbook? Does it have a lot of f-bombs in it? Hmm.