Thursday, November 06, 2014

White Chocolate Funfetti Bundt Cake

This week is "Patient Transporter Week" at the hospital, which honors the brave ladies and gentlemen of the transport department, who faithfully push our patients around the hospital to tests, other rooms, ICUs, the lobby, etc. They are ignored, berated, and quite literally shat upon at times. They are the unsung heroes and I love all of them, so I wanted to contribute to their Week. And how better to celebrate than with a cake?!

After doing a brief study of approximately two people, I determined that the majority of transporters would like a Funfetti cake. Not wanting to stick to something normal, I found this Funfetti-ish bundt cake. While it starts with a cake mix, it is unique and interesting and fun.

The only real change I made was that I used coconut oil instead of shortening in the icing. I thought this actually worked really nicely because it gave the cake a subtle coconut flavor. I liked it. I also didn't bother putting the icing in bags and instead just drizzled it with a spoon. Lazy, but effective.

So how do I know I liked it, if I brought an intact bundt cake for their department? Because I found some mini bundt silicone molds in my cabinet so I made a few of those, for myself, my gentleman, and a couple of friends. If you do this, please note that they only required about 25 minutes to bake instead of 55. I liked this a LOT. I would make it again.

bundt

White Chocolate Funfetti Chip Cake
Inside BruCrew

1 white cake mix
1 box instant white chocolate pudding mix
1 cup plain greek yogurt
4 eggs
1/ cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening, divided

In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, yogurt, eggs, oil, and milk. Beat on low for 1 minute, then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in the sprinkles and mini chocolate chips by hand. Pour batter into a greased 10 inch bundt cake pan. Bake at 350* for 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate to cool completely.

Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 teaspoon shortening. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir until melted and creamy. Place in a plastic baggie with one tip cut off and drizzle over the top of the cake. Repeat with the white chocolate chips. Top with the extra sprinkles. Let set before serving. Keep covered on the counter for 4-5 days.

No comments: