Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Bibimbappy

There are just so many weird grilled cheese sandwiches in the world, and I want to eat all of them. Forever. And I likely will continue to make a lot of them throughout the winter. So be prepared.

Continuing with my Korean food obsession lately, last night I made this sandwich adaptation of one of my favorite meals (Bibimbap). I got to use my gochujang and kimchi, so that was good. I added a little extra layer of cheese on top to help bind everything together, which worked well. I used a microwave packet of coconut rice, which was a bad idea because it was kind of gross on its own, but I wouldn't leave it out. Next time I would just make my own rice.

I didn't love this as much as the ramen-Kimchi one I made the other night, but this was still pretty awesome. It's so much fun!

sandwich

The Bibimbappy
Grilled Cheese Social (The best website ever for grilled cheese)

3 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese -- grated
1 1/2 tablespoon kimchi
1 tablespoon gochujang
1 green onion
2 tablespoons coconut rice
1 fried egg
2 pats salted butter
2 slices sourdough bread

Spread some gochujang on the bread.

Add on some of the cheddar cheese. After that, add some coconut rice. (To make it yourself, add a tablespoon of coconut oil to rice before cooking.)

Next, add kimchi and diced green onion.

Add the rest of the cheese and the top piece of bread. Butter the bread.

Heat up a pan or panini press to medium-high and cook for a few minutes on each side.

Take it off the heat and let it sit for a minute or two. After the cheese has thickened a bit, gently open the sandwich up and add the fried egg.

Servings: 1

No comments: