Thursday, November 27, 2014

Restaurant-Style Hummus

I've been meaning to make a batch of hummus for weeks now. I even special-ordered tahini from the internet because goddamned if I can find any in my area of Pennsylvania (not even at Wegmans!). But I had a feeling that there's something out there that's better than recipes I've tried before, and I WAS RIGHT.

It should come as no shock that the recipe is adapted from Cook's Illustrated - a magazine known for its rigorous testing of different methods and ingredients to make the best possible recipe for a simple dish. And this really is great. You know how the hummus you order in restaurants is perfect and silky and smooth? This is that. It's wonderful.

I did double the amount of garlic because I wanted a garlicky hummus, and I reduced the amount of cumin because my gentleman hates cumin (but it needs at least some to taste authentic). I didn't bother with the fancy presentation and instead just dumped it in a bowl to eat all day, but if I were making this for a party I would garnish it as recommended. I just love this. I will make this again and it shall become my standard hummus recipe from now on. I'm going to have to buy a lot more tahini at this rate!

hummus

Restaurant Style Hummus
Cook's Illustrated, 5/2008 via What Did You Eat

1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 15 oz. can drained and rinsed chickpeas
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of cayenne
About 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Combine the water and lemon juice in one bowl, and the tahini and oil in another. Set aside about 12 of the whole chickpeas for a garnish.

Put the chickpeas, salt, garlic, cumin, and cayenne in a food processor and process for about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the processor. Then add the lemon water mix through the feed tube with the processor running for about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides several times. Then add the oil and tahini, with the processor running, until the hummus is fluffy.

Put the hummus in a bowl, garnish with the cilantro and whole chickpeas, and drizzle with some olive oil if you want.

No comments: