Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Peach Streusel Crisp

The first peaches appeared at the farmers' market this past weekend so I stocked up with the goal of making a nice cobbler. My gentleman is particularly fond of streusel toppings on these things, so I found this peach streusel crisp recipe from Penzeys. I used THIS TUTORIAL from KAF to peel the peaches, and discovered in the process that several of my peaches were not yet fully ripe. Oh well. Eventually I got them all in the baking dish.

I normally don't say things like this, but there was WAY too much topping. The peaches were covered up with floury crisp and it wasn't as bubbly or juicy as the recipe suggests. I poured a little bit of cream on top before serving so it wouldn't be so dry. With the cream, it was quite lovely, but the leftovers have thickened even more and it isn't as great as I'd hoped. I will have to try out a different recipe in the future.

peach

Peach Streusel Crisp
Penzeys

9 good-sized ripe peaches
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon china cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons flour (for juicy peaches; 1 tablespoon for firm peaches)
Topping:
1 stick cold butter
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon china cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease the bottom only of an 8x8 glass pan or medium casserole dish. Peel and pit the peaches, slice and place in a large bowl. Top with sugar, flour, CINNAMON and VANILLA, toss to coat. Set aside while preparing topping. Make the streusel by cutting the cold butter into a bowl, adding flour, sugar and CINNAMON, and rubbing it through your fingers until the streusel is a coarse, sandy/pebbly texture. Put the seasoned peaches into the pan, top generously with the streusel, and bake at 350° about 30 minutes, until the streusel is golden brown and the peach juice is starting to bubble up through the topping.

Yield: 3-4 servings (Enough for an 8x8 pan, double the recipe for a 9x13 pan.)

3 comments:

Denise said...

No communist cinnamon for me, thanks.

Denise said...

Have you cooked anything since then?

Denise said...

Are you going to blog about cruise food? I hope so.