Friday, July 11, 2014

Ozark Mountain Berry Crumble Pie

We bought a ton of berries for a Fourth of July picnic because they were on sale, but then no one ended up eating them. What to do with a million pints of assorted berries? I decided to make a mixed-berry pie and found a great recipe on Taste of Home for Ozark Mountain Berry Pie. But it is a double-crust recipe and I only had one disc of pie dough left in the freezer, so I looked through my recipes until I found a berry crumble-topped pie. I used a recipe for Blueberry Crumble Pie from Bon Appetit and adapted it for the topping.

So I hacked together the two recipes. I will type up what I did. I linked to the originals above, so if you want to see them, go to those links. It was pretty phenomenal, I must say. I used two pints of blueberries, 2 quarts of strawberries, and half a pint of raspberries. So good! Sorry for the crappy photos.

berry pie

pie
{Even Emmadog loved it!}

Ozark Mountain Berry Crumble Pie
Adapted from Taste of Home and Bon Appetit, as linked above

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
dash salt
1/3 cup water
4-5 cups of berries (we used blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries)
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Topping:
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon if desired, salt and water until smooth; add the blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.

Line a 9-in. pie plate with pie dough. Gently fold the rest of the berries and the lemon juice into the blueberry mixture. Pour into pastry.

For the topping, whisk flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter; mix topping with fingertips to blend. Sprinkle evenly over pie.

Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover with foil after 30 minutes if browning too fast. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield: 8 servings

No comments: