Sunday, June 08, 2014

Campfire Cones

So first of all, I want to explained that I haven't done Cookie Monday in a couple weeks - first, it was Memorial Day. Then I was out of town. I will be making cookies this week. The butter is already softening on the counter.

Second, I want to show you this fancy cheese plate I made up on Friday, mostly out of stuff from the farmer's market - nice bread, berries, some stilton, some brie, some smoked gouda, some weird cheese rubbed with coffee (it was not good), olives, gherkins, honey, balsamic vinegar, and crackers. I put it all out on the porch Friday night and my gentleman and I just sat around eating it for awhile. It was lovely.

cheese

Now I will tell you about a "recipe" I tried recently. My gentleman and his bestie went camping a couple of weeks ago and I am a loser so I sent them with a tasty treat. My instructions were: Open the foil, squish in some banana pieces, rewrap the foil, throw into the campfire. They did that, and apparently the results were delicious.

cones

My gentleman got a little overzealous with the banana but whatever. These are little cones you fill up with magical goodness, enclose in foil, and cook in a campfire. What you end up with is a portable, self-contained snack that isn't as messy as a s'more. If we go camping in the near future, I will make these again. They're pretty cute. (Note: I left out the peanut butter because that wasn't conducive to me preparing them in advance, but if I took them camping again, I'd take some of those little individual PB packets with me.)

Campfire Cones
Come Together Kids
(LOL, yes, I got this from a parenting website)

Sugar cones
Peanut butter
Mini marshmallows
Chocolate chips
Bananas
Aluminum Foil

Chop up the bananas and get some marshmallows and chocolate chips ready.

Spread some peanut butter on the inside of the cone, then put in the bananas, marshmallows and chocolate chips.

Wrap the whole cone in aluminum foil, then put in over the hot coals for 5-10 minutes or so, turning every so often.

Unwrap your cone to see that everything's ooey, gooey, and melted.

No comments: