Sunday, May 25, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas, and Harissa

I think I've told you before about how sometimes I go grocery shopping and I'll come home with lettuce, milk, half-and-half, anchovy paste, a coconut, and some Kerrygold cheese, or some other random combination of practical foods and bizarre ingredients that don't fit into our usual meals. I have no idea why. I get excited when I see a jar of tapenade on sale and simply must purchase it. You never know.

So the other night I was making myself some dinner and was thrilled to discover I had all the ingredients to make this meal - including the harissa. Hooray! We have so many different types of hot sauce/spicy condiments (Frank's, sriracha, sambal oelek, garlic chile paste, and now harissa). Harissa is a Moroccan condiment that is similar to the chunkier spicy sauces, but it has almost a pickly type of flavor to it. I like it a lot. So it was fun to get to use it. Hah!

This was super simple and super delicious. I loved it. I used fresh parsley and cilantro that I grew in our garden (!!!!) and it was just simple and lovely. I would make this again.

cauliflower

Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas and Harissa
Familystyle Food via Pinterest

1 head cauliflower, separated into bite-sized florets
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 small sweet onion, like Maui or red onion; finely sliced
2-3 tablespoons harissa
1/2 bunch each Italian parsley and cilantro
1/2 lemon
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Spread the cauliflower out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt and the cumin seeds. Roast 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and golden. Add the chickpeas and roast an additional 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in an 8 Р10-inch saut̩ pan. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat until the onions are very soft. Stir in the harissa along with 1 tablespoon water.

Pick the leaves off the parsely and cilantro and tear into rough pieces; throw them over the chickpeas. Squeeze the lemon over and toss together with the onion mixture.

Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the feta.

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments: