Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Homemade Tomato Soup

Things have been dark and rainy, so last night I felt inspired to make homemade tomato soup. This was indeed very easy, and it was very good, but it was much more watery than I had hoped. I added a little bit of cream to thicken it up and bind it together once it was blended, but that didn't really help. I also added some rice, because tomato soup with rice is one of my gentleman's comfort foods. That did help thicken it a little bit, but I definitely wouldn't say this was the greatest soup ever.

I understand this photo blows, but there was no other way to take a picture of it. I told you - it was watery.

soup

Homemade Tomato Soup
Vegetarian Times, January/February 2014

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 vegetable bouillon cube, optional
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and sugar, and cook 1 minute, or until tomato paste darkens. Stir in diced tomatoes, bouillon cube (if using), balsamic vinegar, thyme, and 4 cups water. Cover pan, bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, and blend soup with immersion blender or in blender or food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

Yield: 3-4 main course servings, or 8 appetizers

No comments: