Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Homemade Honeycomb Candy with Dark Chocolate

Crap, I wrote this and left it as a draft, and never remembered to post it.

So basically, I decided to try making candy for Cookie Monday. I recently joined Graze.Com, a subscription service - kind of like a BarkBox or a BirchBox, but with snacks. And I love it so much. I'm not even going to give you my referral code because I don't want you to think I'm pandering. I really do love it.

Anyway one of my first snacks was a chocolatey honeycomb mix. Honeycomb Candy, also known as seafoam candy, crack candy, or violet crumble, is like a weird hard caramel that is crispy. They sell violet crumble at the grocery store as an import (I think from Australia?) and it's lovely. I really like it. I saw a recipe for it on Pinterest and it seemed easy enough, so I tried it out.

I've made caramels in all the stages except the one this requires - the hard crack stage. So that was pretty exciting. Although I watched my thermometer with bated breath and timed everything perfectly, it probably needed another 30 seconds to get to exactly the right texture. It was still very good, but it was a little bit chewier than I wanted it to be. I don't have tips for you. You just have to try it out and see what happens.

honeycomb

Homemade Honeycomb Candy with Dark Chocolate
Joy the Baker

1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
6 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, for topping


1. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly grease the foil. Set aside.

2. Fill an empty sink with about 2-inches of cold water Set up a whisk and the baking soda near the sink. Timing is everything.

3. In a medium, heavy bottom saucepan whisk together sugar, corn syrup, water, cream of tartar, and vinegar. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and heat over medium heat. There’s no real need to stir the pan as it begins to boil. Swirl the pan if you’d like. Heat boiling sugar mixture to 300 degrees F.

4. When the mixture comes to 300 degrees F, quickly remove from heat and gently set the pan in the cool water in the sink. Immediately add baking soda and quickly whisk to combine. The mixture will become foamy and frothy and look pale. It will turn slightly golden as you whisk. Before the candy cools too much, quickly spread it into the prepared pan. It doesn’t have to fill the pan completely… just get it in there. It cools and hardens quickly.

5. Candy will set within 20 minutes. Crack into big pieces. Dip and/or sprinkle with melted dark chocolate. Allow to rest in the refrigerator until chocolate hardens. Place in an airtight container. I store my honeycomb in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Yield: 2 cups of candy

No comments: