Sunday, April 06, 2014

Kimchi Noodles

I randomly found some kimchi (a Korean spicy fermented cabbage) at the grocery store the other day and had to buy it because I love it. Stinky but delicious. But what to do with it?

I found a recipe on Pinterest for kimchi noodles that utilized a kimchi paste in the noodle mixture. I skipped the kimchi paste and instead just threw the kimchi in, in place of the paste and the bok choy the recipe originally called for. I also added some chile-garlic paste to the final product because it wasn't spicy enough for me. Probably you won't need that.

Instead of spending $3.50 on a package of curly noodles, I spent $1 for 10 packages of ramen noodle. I made the noodles without the flavor packet, since it would just be flavored from the soup anyway.

So after everything, this was lovely. It was a really enjoyable dinner. I have a ton of ramen noodles now, so I will likely make this again very soon!

kimchi

Kimchi Noodles
Loosely adapted from Great Secret of Life

1 package ramen noodles
1/2 cup kimchi (or more, or less)
Cubed or sliced tofu, pan-fried
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 finely chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon oil (I used coconut)
1-2 green chiles, sliced

Heat the oil in the pan. Pan-fry the tofu, set aside. Add the onion and saute until transparent. Add the garlic and ginger. Saute for about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and kimchi. Saute for about 1 minute. Then add 2 cups of water and the salt. Bring it to a boil. Add the fried tofu and let it boil for another minute.

Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Omit the flavor packet. Drain and place the noodles in your serving bowl.

Pour the hot soup over the top of the noodles. Garnish with sliced green chiles.

Yield: 1-2 servings

No comments: