Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sriracha Egg Salad Sandwiches

Last year I posted about my love of egg salad sandwiches. I eat them pretty frequently - at home, at least. I still stick to my general recipe but every once in awhile I do try things out, like adding horseradish, or curry powder, or caraway seeds. My friend Scott recently tried to recommend chopping up green olives but I told him to go back to 1950 and have his olivey egg salad with a side of tomato aspic, because that is just gross. Normally I don't bother to post about these sandwiches anymore, but the other night I tried a specific recipe I found on Pinterest so I feel the need to share it.

Sriracha! You know I love it. I had to add way more to this recipe than was called for because the mayonnaise kept tempering the spiciness to a level that I could barely detect with my high tolerance for heat. The addition of onion powder and garlic salt (a small change I added) gave it a full flavor, and the green onions were a nice surprise. I didn't have the fancy oatmeal walnut bread it calls for and instead used some country white bread, but it was still delicious. The recipe calls for a softer-boiled egg so its yolk mushes in with the sauce, but I hate liquidy yolks intensely so I cooked them all the way through. I really enjoyed this and will add it to my mental arsenal of egg salad recipes.

The blog post I stole this from on Parsley Sage & Sweet has a great tutorial on how to make perfect hard-boiled eggs. Also for soft-boiled if that's your thing. But if you need to learn about eggs, that's a great resource. In addition, they posted a recipe for the oatmeal walnut bread, which I'm sure would have been delicious. My bread-baking has been unsuccessful lately and I can't handle more failure at the moment so I'm going to bookmark it and come back to trying the bread later.

egg

Chunky Sriracha Egg Salad
Loosely adapted from Parsley Sage & Sweet

2 large hard boiled eggs, peeled, rinsed, dried, and coarsely chopped with a fork (my method)
1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2-3 tablespoons sriracha, to your spice level
1 scallion, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
More salt if the garlic salt is not enough to taste

Mix it all together in a bowl and put on toasted bread.

Yield: 1 big sandwich

No comments: