Sunday, March 16, 2014

Homemade Tortillas

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought it would be pretty awesome to make our own tortillas so I don't have to buy them, or so I could make them if we've run out. This recipe is SO EASY and I do not know what went wrong. I feel like I've been saying that more often than not, lately. I really don't get it.

So we made these and rolled them out and they wouldn't stay together without ripping. Then they were kind of gummy after cooking them. They LOOK right, but instead of being soft and foldable like the website indicated, instead they were basically like a giant chip. Fine. But not what they were supposed to be.

I may try this again soon to see what happens. Faulty recipe, or faulty Lauren? Pretty sure I know the answer there. (Me.)

tortillas

Homemade Tortillas
Taste of Home, June/July 2010

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm. Yield: 8 tortillas.

Servings: 8

No comments: