Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Oatmeal Scotchies

With the release of Anchorman 2, I felt like it was the right time to make these Oatmeal Scotchies (get it? Scotchies? Scotchy scotch scotch?) for Cookie Monday. But Anchorman came out around Christmas and everyone was cookied out, and then last week I started making these but discovered I had no oats. So I finally made them for this week. I used the recipe from the Quaker Oats website, because my mom has been using this recipe for years. I loved these cookies growing up. They remind me of my childhood. Love it so much.

Apparently when I make them myself though, I am an utter failure. I have no idea what I did wrong, but these were dry and crumbly instead of chewy and soft. Still tasty, but not how they were intended to be. I will try this again and see what happened there. Man, I'm really striking out with baking this week.

scotchies

In a fun twist, we obtained some Ben & Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch ice cream and put it ON TOP OF THE COOKIE. Recommended.

scotchies

Oatmeal Scotchies
Quaker Oats

1/2 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Quaker Oats -- (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 package butterscotch chips

Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oats and butterscotch morsels; mix well. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7 to 8 minutes for a chewy cookie or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Yield: 4 dozen

No comments: