Saturday, January 04, 2014

Hoppin' John

My mom is from Texas so it's just become standard that on New Year's we have some kind of black eyed peas. These are not the most delicious of beans, but oh well. I remember one year my mom heated them up with some queso dip and we decided that was good enough. I am a scientific and factual person, but I am also a person with OCD, so I had to make some black eyed peas this year. I decided to go straight for the traditional meal - hoppin' john.

hoppin

Usually hoppin' john is made with ham hock and collard greens and stuff, so I found a vegetarian version. It actually is a vegan version. I adapted it a little bit. It calls for things like Braggs (amino acids) and Bac-O's and I was not into that. You can substitute soy sauce for the Braggs so I did that instead. I used Emeril's Bayou Blast seasoning and that worked very well. I also added in some bacon to Brandon's, but he didn't eat it because he went to work and forgot to take it with him. He may have bad luck this year.

hoppin

Hoppin' John
Adapted from Meet the Shannons

1 cup long-grain brown rice, cooked (I used microwave)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Dash of liquid smoke
1/2 green bell pepper, diced (I used my frozen bell peppers from the summer)
1/4 red onion, diced
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 cup greens (collard, mustard, spinach - I used some of my frozen kale)
Bacon and/or hot sauce to top (green onions are also good)

In a cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil and liquid smoke on medium heat. Add the peppers, onion, and black eyed peas, and mix. Stir in creole seasoning, onion powder, and greens. When the onion and peppers are tender, add the rice and soy sauce. Let heat for about 5 minutes.

No comments: