Saturday, December 07, 2013

Turkey Noodle Soup

As you may recall, I made an entire 10 lb turkey for my gentleman (and one of our friends, who ate some leftovers). He could only eat so many turkey sandwiches and eventually asked if I could make it into soup.

Not knowing what exactly he wanted, I decided to go with my gut and find a homey, noodly soup using leftover turkey. And I found that with Ms Martha. Turkey stock was on sale because Thanksgiving is over, so that was cool. And then since we live in Pennsylvania, I found these Pennsylvania Dutch "pot pie" noodles - square-shaped egg noodles. Perfect.

So I whipped this soup up and it was definitely a winner. My gentleman loved it, our friend loved it, and now I have a go-to use for turkey in future years. I highly recommend this if you have leftover turkey!

soup

Turkey Noodle Soup
Everyday Food, November 2009

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 celery stalks, diced medium
3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 medium white onion, diced medium
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 cups turkey stock (storebought or homemade)
2 cups wide egg noodles
1 sprig rosemary, about 2 inches long
3/4 pound shredded cooked turkey

In a 6-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high. Add celery, carrots, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes.

Add stock and bring to a rapid simmer. Add noodles, rosemary, 2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and simmer until noodles are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add turkey and heat through.

Servings: 6

No comments: