Thursday, December 05, 2013

Lauren Roasts a Turkey: Thanksgiving 2013

That's right. As I mentioned, we went to Connecticut for early-Thanksgiving this year and then decided to have our own Thanksgiving at home.

{Side note: We get free turkeys from a local turkey farm through work, so I combined both of our regular-turkey vouchers in exchange for one 10-pound organic, grass-fed, antibiotic-free, free-range turkey. It was $17 more expensive than a 15-pound non-organic one there. Don't get me started on how appalling it was to go to the turkey farm and see factory farming at its finest. Appalling.}

Anyway. So. My gentleman assisted me with removing the neck and giblets, and with thawing out the turkey. But I took the initiative for cooking it (albeit whilst wearing surgical gloves from work). I borrowed a countertop electric roaster from a friend so that it wouldn't take up the oven all day. Then I timed everything to be done at the same time and life was awesome.

Let's discuss this turkey.

turkey
Here is a photo of the turkey in the roaster. I used the following tutorial to learn how to roast the turkey: Perfect Whole Turkey In An Electric Roaster Oven. In addition to the olive oil, salt, and pepper, I made my own poultry rub, using the following recipe, and used another pair of surgical gloves to massage it into the turkey carcass.

Poultry Seasoning
From AllRecipes

Combine the following:
2 teaspoons ground dried sage
1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
3/4 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

turkey
After a few hours of roasting, the turkey (Sir Theodore the Turkey) was ready! He didn't have the same golden brown that you'll get by frying the turkey or roasting it in the oven, because that isn't how the electric roaster works. But what it DID do was create a turkey that was moist and flavorful - no easy feat, as this brand of turkeys is known for being dry and tough.

What else did we have?

table
Here is our table, set with all the food.

plate
And here is my plate. Yum!

We had:
Turkey
Beer-Cheese Skillet Potatoes
Pepperidge Farm Stuffing
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Canned cranberry sauce
Salted Caramel Pear Tarts

It was lovely.

It was the first Thanksgiving meal I have ever created by myself. (I mean, with my gentleman's help for the turkey, but you know what I mean.) No catastrophes, just love and food.

No comments: