Monday, December 09, 2013

Cookie Monday: Kourabiedes (Greek Butter Cookies)

Oops! I was about to post about today's Cookie Monday cookie and realized I'd never published this one from last week.

OK, so the Kourabiedes. I found this recipe in a Penzeys catalog. It uses a ton of butter, but it made more than enough cookies so I didn't even have to double the batch. I had shied away from cookies covered in powdered sugar (like almond crescents or Mexican wedding cookies) because I give them out at a hospital and I didn't want doctors walking into rooms looking like they'd just done coke in the bathroom. Thankfully, I underestimated the eating habits of my coworkers and no one looked overly powdery.

They were very yummy. Very simple. Definitely buttery. They were kind of dry in that the whole cookie just explodes and melts in your mouth. Several people compared it (favorably, I swear) to the Cinnamon Challenge (google it). I suggested everyone follow it up with coffee or milk due to that. A few people deemed this their favorite so far. I agree. They were very good!

cookies

Kourabiedes - Greek Butter Cookies
Penzeys

1 pound sweet butter, unsalted (4 sticks)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
3 cups cake flour (fine flour that produced more tender, fine textured baked goods)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups powdered sugar for dusting the cookies, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. soften butter at room temperature. Beat butter with an electrix mixer for 1/2 hour at medium high speed (don't skimp, the long beating time is crucial). Add the 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, followed by the egg yolk and continue beating so the sugar and egg yolk mix in well. Add cake flour a little at a time, then the regular flour and baking powder. The dough should be soft but not sticky to the hand. Make sure you mix the dough well. Roll the dough into 3/4 inch balls and make a small indentation on top to hold the powdered sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. sprinkle with 1 cup of powdered sugar. Remove from pan and place cookies on a board or rack to cool and sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar. Let them cool overnight.

Yield: 60 cookies

No comments: