Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cookie Monday: Giant Molasses Cookies

I was drawn to this recipe because of all of the reviews claiming that they are soft and chewy. I wanted a soft gingerbread cookie for Cookie Monday. Not a gingersnap. Not a hard cookie. Something soft and reminiscent of Pepperidge Farm.

My mistake may have been that I smallened the cookies. Instead of making them gigantic (3" diameter, claim the reviews), I made 1" balls and got about 4 1/2 dozen cookies. I adjusted the cooking time to 11 minutes so that they would be slightly underdone when they came out of the oven, enhancing the softness. So I am unsure how much of this really is my mistake, because when I took it out of the oven, I discovered we had gingersnaps. The opposite of what I wanted.

It has been pointed out to me by several people that I am overly critical of my cookies that even when they're subpar, the fact that I bring in cookies at all is appreciated. But I want to make sure people are getting the best and I didn't feel these were the best. They're absolutely delicious. But they're kind of hard. One person at work described them as "a good dipping cookie." I bet they would be really good with some pumpkin ice cream in between two of them, though. For real. I will continue my quest for a nice, soft ginger cookie.

gingersnaps

Giant Molasses Cookies
Taste of Home, November 2011

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup coarse sugar

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans.

Shape into 2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2-1/2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.

Servings: 24

No comments: