Monday, December 30, 2013

Cookie Monday: Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies

I actually wasn't planning on making these this week. I planned to make oatmeal butterscotch cookies. I had printed this out as a consideration but ended up deciding on the oatmeal. So I had the following in my mixer: butter, sugar, brown sugar. I had the following in a bowl: flour, baking soda, salt. And then I went to add the oats and discovered I have no oats. None. In the entire house. Why did I think I could make oatmeal cookies? Panic set in.

So I grabbed this one as my backup, trying to figure out what I could salvage. Then I realized that the amounts of butter and sugars were exactly the same in the two recipes. I tossed in a brick of cream cheese and suddenly my mixer was making this recipe. I added an extra cup of flour and an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt and suddenly my dry ingredients were the correct amounts as well. WHAT IS THE LIKELIHOOD OF THIS?!

These cookies don't have a cheesecake consistency but they are very soft and springy. They have a little tang like a cheesecake. I used dark chocolate chips but you could definitely use pretty much any kind of baking chip. These were really good!

cookie

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies
Something Swanky via Pinterest

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups dark chocolate chips

1. Beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and Philadelphia cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer.

2. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.

3. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Add gradually to the stand mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl as it mixed.

4. Mix in the Hershey's baking melts with a wooden spoon.

5. Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment or silicon lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes, until the edges look set.

6. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to wire rack.

Yield: 3-4 dozen

1 comment:

Karolyn said...

I made these yesterday, and you're right, they were really good! I used semi sweet and butterscotch morsels and while there is not much of a cheesecake taste, they were still soft and really yummy so I would make them again. Thanks!