Sunday, December 01, 2013

Beer-Cheese Skillet Potatoes

I will post about our Thanksgiving in a little while, but for now I will tell you about the potatoes.

Because we had already eaten the standard food at my parents' house, I decided to try some new things for our side dishes for our own Thanksgiving. I discovered this recipe on The Beeroness not too long ago. Her blog is great. She cooks delicious foods using beer. This sounded wonderful so I decided to try it.

It calls for a hoppy beer, so I used The Brew Works' Hop'solutely - a locally-made beer that is SUPER SUPER hoppy to the point where I can't drink it. But it worked very well in this recipe!!! It would be fun to try this with different types of beer, as well. I really liked that the cheese sauce is blended before you throw it on top of the potatoes, and cooking it in a skillet added a little extra magic. I made the sauce ahead of time, which really helped with keeping things low-key on Thanksgiving. It re-heats beautifully, too. I loved this and would definitely make it again.

potatoes

Beer Cheese Skillet Potatoes
The Beeroness

2/3 cup beer (IPA, hoppy pale ale, or black IPA)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, plus ¼ cup divided
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, sliced
1 cup panko bread crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a food processor add the beer, 2 cups cheese, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cornstarch. Process until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Set aside.

3. Melt the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the potato slices and cook until browned. Spread the potatoes out until fairly evenly distributed around the pan.

4. Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes and allow to simmer for ten minutes.

5. Add the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and panko bread crumbs to the top. Transfer to the oven and allow to cook until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are fork-tender, about 30 minutes.

No comments: