Monday, November 18, 2013

Game Day / Texas Trash

One of the fun things about having a gentleman who likes football is that when he invites his friends over to watch the game, I get to make fun food, like dips and stuff. This week our friend brought some buffalo chicken dip (a recipe I do not have, but imagine is pretty close to THIS ONE), another friend brought moonshine, and I got to use my brand new football-shaped crockpot to make dinner.

crockpot

If you decide you simply must have one as well, you MIGHT be able to get one on Amazon. I got mine from the "unwanted gifts" section of an online marketplace. WHO WOULD NOT WANT THIS?! A crazy person, that's who.

I had a container of frozen barbecue pulled turkey (like pork, only with turkey) from a local turkey farm when I went there to buy our Thanksgiving turkey (yes, you read that right!). I dumped out the barbecue into the little crockpot and cooked it on low for several hours. The boys really liked it, which surprised me because it's barbecue turkey.

crockpot

Because I didn't get to eat the turkey OR the chicken dip, I made myself a new dip recipe found via Pinterest for "Texas Trash," touted as one of the best bean dips ever created. It was not. I wished I had made my Rotel Super Dip instead. This is really just a creamy bean dip. It's good, and it tastes good left over as well, but I still missed the Rotel. I do not think this is a winner. I look forward to trying new dips in the future!

trash

Texas Trash (Hot Mexican Bean Dip)
AllRecipes

8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
30 ounces refried beans
1 1/4 ounces dry taco seasoning mix
1 jalapeno pepper -- diced, or more to taste
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, refried beans, and taco seasoning in a bowl. Fold jalapeno pepper into the dip; spread into a 9x13-inch baking dish.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Top with shredded cheese and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, about 5 more minutes.

Servings: 10

No comments: